Macon-Bibb County

Code Enforcement

Important Message Regarding Alcohol & Business Licensing

The Macon-Bibb Tax Commissioner’s Office has assumed the responsibilities for the processing of initial and renewal applications for all alcohol, business and privilege licenses. Business Development Services will no longer process applications related to these license types. To access information about the online application process and general information, please visit and click on the Alcohol & Business Licensing tab on the menu.


J.T. Ricketson
Macon City Hall
700 Poplar St. 1st Floor
Macon, GA 31201

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What do I do if I’m concerned about the condition of a piece of property in the city?

You can file an inspection request with the Department of Code Enforcement to have them verify if a code violation exists by calling 478-803-0470 Monday thru Friday 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM or go Online to See-Click-Fix by clicking the link HERE

2. What is the process after I submit an inspection request?

Once an inspection request is received, we will send a code enforcement officer out to inspect the property within a few days to verify if a code violation exists. If the property is in violation of a city ordinance, a written notice of violation will be mailed by certified mail to the legal property owner of record. The legal owner of the property will be given a specific time period to correct the violation and bring the property into compliance. If the violation is not resolved within the specified time frame, the city will take measures to bring the property into compliance.

3. When is grass considered to be in violation?

Grass is officially in violation of the city code when it reaches a height of 12 inches or higher.

4. Does the Department of Code Enforcement handle complaints about animals?
No. Contact the animal control officer with the Animal Service for concerns about animals.
5. I have a neighbor who is a repeat offender. Do I have to file an inspection request every time I have a concern?
Yes. Although the Department of Code Enforcement is proactively looking for problem properties, we are unable to see everything. By filing an inspection request every time there is a concern, it ensures the property will be inspected in a timely fashion.
6. I have a mold and/or mildew issue; can you help me with my problem?

The Department of Code Enforcement does not do any testing or sampling of alleged mold or mildew.  This should be referred to the Health Department.  If there is significant water damage that has resulted from a leaky roof or a plumbing problem and the structural integrity of the building has been compromised, then a Notice of Violation letter will be issued to the property owner or management company.  The level of water damage and structural problems will be determined by the code enforcement officer.

7. What can I do about my neighbor’s tree limbs growing across the property line to my property?
This is often a civil issue that needs to be addressed between the neighbors or their attorneys. A property owner has the right to trim limbs back to their property line, but could face civil charges if damage occurs. If the limb or tree on a neighbor’s property is clearly dead, then this department can cite the property owner where the tree originates and ask that the hazardous conditions be removed.
8. I have received a Notice of Violation letter for the Department of Code Enforcement, what do I do now?
If you make the necessary repairs or perform the necessary maintenance prior to the compliance date on the letter, call the Department of Code Enforcement at 478-803-0470 and report this compliance. If you are unable to complete to repairs or perform the necessary maintenance call the Department of Code Enforcement at 478-803-0470 and provide your address and contact number. A Code Enforcement Officer will contact you to discuss the issue. If the code violations are resolved in a timely manner, the case will be forwarded to Municipal Court.