State Court of Bibb County
Modified Dates and Processes due to the COVID-19 Judical Emergency
The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Georgia extended the statewide Judicial Emergency through June 7, 2021; however, the State Court of Bibb County is in full operation, with pandemic precautions. We are conducting in-person and remote proceedings. If possible, we prefer to address your needs and handle your case remotely. If you have questions, please call the Clerk’s Office: (478) 621-6200.
We have resumed six-person jury trials. Please click on the “Jury Duty” tab for updates and more information. Jury service will not be like it was before the pandemic. We will send extensive information to prospective jurors with their summonses, and this website has additional information about jury service. If you have received a summons, if you have received a subpoena, or if you are a party or participant, please contact the Court with any questions.
The State Court of Bibb County is conducting most proceedings remotely. For any in-person proceedings, the Court is following the Georgia Court Reopening Guide and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Georgia Department of Health.
- All defendants are encouraged to Handle Your Criminal Case Online. If you do so, you will not have to come to the Courthouse. For more information, click the link to “Handle Your Criminal Case Online.”
- All in-person proceedings in the State Court of Bibb County are subject to the “Guidelines for Court Proceedings for Courts in the Macon Judicial Circuit” and the Restatement of Guidelines for In-Person Proceedings for the State Court of Bibb County. (See links at the top of this webpage.)
- Anyone who is in a high-risk category (including over the age of 65, without a vaccine) or has a COVID-19 related basis to be excused from Court should contact the chambers of Judge Sharell Lewis (478-621-6183), at least seventy-two (72) hours before the scheduled Court date. Leaving a voice mail does not relieve a party of the requirement to appear on the scheduled Court date. Failure to appear for a scheduled Court date in a criminal case may result in a warrant for the defendant’s arrest.
- Civil hearings may be held by teleconference or video conference. If by video conference, the Judge will be in the courtroom or will present the hearing in the courtroom, and the hearing may be observed in the courtroom.
- The Court is handling all inmate cases (arraignments, pleas, probation revocations) by video on Tuesdays at 8:15 AM. These may be observed in the courtroom at the J. Taylor Phillips Courthouse.
- Criminal case e-filing is available. Pleadings may be filed through PeachCourt. (Click on the link on the website to register and file. There is no cost to e-file in criminal cases.) All lawyers and parties are encouraged to file pleadings electronically rather than in person; however, e-filing is not presently mandatory in criminal cases. If you have questions or issues related to PeachCourt, go to https://peachcourt.com. There is a “Need Help” link on their website.
- Civil case e-filing is mandatory in most civil cases. Even in older cases in which e-filing may not be mandatory, lawyers and parties are encouraged to file pleadings electronically rather than in person. Pleadings may be filed through PeachCourt. (Click on the link on the website to register and file. There is a cost for civil e-filing.) If you have questions or issues related to PeachCourt, go to https://peachcourt.com. There is a “Need Help” link on their website.
If you have questions or if you have any COVID-19 related concerns about the Court’s processes, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you for your flexibility and cooperation in the present circumstances.
Chief Judge, State Court of Bibb County
May 10, 2021
|Jeff Hanson||Chief Judge|
|Sharell F. Lewis||Judge|
|Patti Graves||State Court Clerk||(478) 621-6200|
|Amy Hartley||Chief Probation Officer||(478) 621-6679|
|Pam Forbes||Administrative Assistant to Judge Hanson||(478) 621-6189|
|Savannah Camp||Administrative Assistant to Judge Lewis||(478) 621-6183|
J. Taylor Phillips Courthouse
601 Mulberry Street, Room 500
Macon, GA 31201
PO Box 5086
Macon, GA 31213-7199
Telephone: (478) 621-6200
Fax: (478) 621-6008
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.