Macon-Bibb County

Blight

Blight

  • Blight Fight reaches 150th demolition milestone
    Our Blight Fight initiative reached and has already passed the 150 blight removal mark, just shy of the one year anniversary of the first house being torn down. On Wednesday, March 30 crews removed the 150th blighted structure with the demolition of the house at 849 Lilly Avenue. “Reaching 150 is a milestone, but we’re […]

    April 1, 2022 published by

  • 100 blighted houses down in our #BlightFight
    On Wednesday, December 29, we reached a major milestone in our fight against blight. Crews tore down the 100th blighted house at 3205 Atkins Drive. You can watch the demolition here. “I can’t thank enough all of the people that have made this happen,” says Mayor Lester Miller. “Our crews have worked tirelessly these past […]

    December 29, 2021 published by

  • Staff Spotlight: Code Enforcement
    Cleaning up our community and keeping it clean and safe is a priority for us all. Our Code Enforcement team is making that happen through their ongoing efforts to fight blight in many ways. This week, we are highlighting this hardworking team for our staff spotlight. The team of 15 is led by Director J.T. […]

    December 3, 2021 published by

  • #BlightFight clears 75th blighted house
    On Thursday, November 18, we reached a milestone in our Blight Fight, which is aimed to make our community safer and cleaner. The blighted and dangerous house at 4302 Ashland Drive is the 75th house down in our mission. “This effort is allowing us to take major steps forward in improving our neighborhoods,” said District […]

    November 19, 2021 published by

  • First commercial property to be demolished as part of Blight Fight
    Public Works will continue Macon-Bibb’s Blight Fight by tearing down the first commercial property included in this initiative. At 8:15 a.m. on Thursday, August 26, the crew will begin removing the structure at 3527 Brookdale Avenue (seen above) from the neighborhood. “I’m excited for us to be taking down the first commercial property so far,” […]

    August 25, 2021 published by

  • Making a cleaner, safer community with help from ARP funds
    Eliminating blight has been a top priority for our administration as one way to make our community safer. That’s why the Commission approved $5 million in American Rescue Plan (ARP) funds to help continue to remove dilapidated and dangerous structures from our neighborhoods. The money will be placed in a Blight Elimination Revolving Loan Fund and used for demolishing blighted and dangerous structures. Funds can also be used […]

    August 3, 2021 published by

  • 50 houses down in our #BlightFight
    Public Works crews started the week strong by moving into round two of our #BlightFight by removing the blighted house at 4290 Worsham Avenue from the Lynmore Estates neighborhood. They then made their way to 1070 Crescent Avenue on Tuesday and 90 Green Street on Wednesday to remove those dilapidated and dangerous structures. In April […]

    July 29, 2021 published by

  • Commission recognizes Mayor Miller for efforts in fight against blight
    During a regularly scheduled Commission meeting Tuesday, Commissioners surprised Mayor Lester Miller with a proclamation. The proclamation, read by District 7 Commissioner Bill Howell, highlighted Mayor Miller’s Blight Fight initiative and the work he and crews from Public Works, Facilities Management, and contractors have done to remove 30 blighted houses from neighborhoods before his 30-day […]

    June 4, 2021 published by

  • Fighting blight with Habitat’s helping hands
    Macon Area Habitat for Humanity has been a crucial part in tackling blight in our community and restoring those properties. The national non-profit organization aims to help people repair and improve their homes and neighborhoods. With Mayor Lester Miller’s Blight Fight Campaign, Macon Area Habitat is staying busy working to get more community partners, such […]

    June 4, 2021 published by

  • 34 more blighted houses added to #BlightFight demolition list
    On Wednesday June 2, 2021 Mayor Lester Miller announced the next round of houses to be taken down in his Blight Fight campaign. “We’re celebrating a milestone in our fight against blight, in our fight to remove falling in, burned out, and blighted structures from our neighborhoods, to make our community safer, more beautiful, and […]

    June 2, 2021 published by

1 2 3 4 6

Was this page helpful?
TOP