Mayor Lester Miller recommending property tax reduction of 2 mills
On August 2, 2022, Mayor Lester Miller will recommend to the Commission that the millage rate for Macon-Bibb County be lowered by 2 mills, from 19.901 to 17.901. This will be the second consecutive year the millage rate was reduced. The meeting will be held at 6:00 p.m. in Commission Chambers in City Hall (700 Poplar Street) and will be broadcast live at www.facebook.com/maconbibbcounty and www.maconbibb.us.
“It’s great we’re able to lower the millage rate for the second consecutive year, all while improving and increasing services to our community,” says Mayor Lester Miller. “For two years, we’ve looked at ways to better serve our neighborhoods, operate more effectively, support our partners, and create a better, stronger Macon-Bibb.”
In this budget, Mayor Miller stressed the focus for the year would be improving public safety, code enforcement, beautification efforts, recreation, pedestrian safety, and economic development.
“We accomplished a great deal last year, and with our departments and community working closely together, we’ll build on that success for even greater things this year,” said Mayor Miller. “The work already done and everything we do in the future are because we are operating as a team.”
Some of the key points in this year’s budget include:
- Increasing salaries and funding for public safety and adding annual incentive pay;
- Beginning construction of the new fire safety training center;
- Increasing funding for beautification efforts, including community gateway improvements and street cleaning;
- Aggressively attacking blight through the expanded Code Enforcement Department;
- Increasing recreation programming;
- Installing traffic calming measures and signage;
- Welcoming new industries and businesses;
- Focusing revitalization efforts in specific areas;
- And more.
The approved millage rate is part of the Fiscal Year 2023 (FY23) Budget, which covers city-county services for July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. You can watch the full presentation, see the PowerPoint, find the budget timeline, and more by clicking here.