The Macon-Bibb County Board of Commissioners met via online platform Zoom on Tuesday, December 1, 2020 for their regularly-scheduled Commission Meeting. The Board is meeting virtually to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Anyone can watch these meetings live on our Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/MaconBibbCounty or on our website at www.MaconBibb.us. Below is a recap of the items on which Commissioners voted. You can watch the meeting here.
• Commissioners failed to overturn the Mayor’s Veto about renaming the Macon City Auditorium for former Mayor C. Jack Ellis.
• Commissioners failed to overturn the Mayor’s Veto about amending the Code for proposed discrimination protections.
• The Board approved enforcement measures for the Solid Waste Ordinance of our County Code.
• Commissioners approved allocating $954,000 from the sale of the Willie C. Hill Annex, and from the capital improvements fund, for future improvements of Rosa Parks Square.
• The Board approved dedicating a portion of Jeffersonville Road as the “Senator David E. Lucas, Sr. Way” in honor of his contributions to the community.
• Commissioners approved the Tax Commissioner’s request for a supplemental appropriation to lease additional parking.
• Commissioners approve $66,528.71 in voter-approved SPLOST funds for improvements to Gateway Park. That’s at the corner of Riverside Drive and MLK Boulevard, where the Otis Redding statue is located.
• Approximately 28.37 acres of land at 1000 Boulevard is accepted by the Commission and designated for park purposes.
• A new Videoboard and Scoreboard System is coming to the Macon Centreplex now that a contract with Daktronics, Inc has been approved . Commissioners approved using SPLOST money for that project.
• Commissioners approved a plan to establish an Ad Hoc Advisory Board of Equity and Civility to advise Commission on the pending Equity Assessment Program & provide guidance towards creating more equitable, just community.
• The Board approved installing an access control security system for Government Center to improve the safety of employees, visitors.
Commissioners meet at 6 p.m. on the first and third Tuesdays of each month for a Full Commission Meeting, and at 9 a.m. on the second and fourth Tuesdays for Committee Meetings. You can view agendas and other information here: https://go.boarddocs.com/ga/maconbibb/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=ANRLQ4567365
We’ll continue to stream these meetings live on both our Facebook page, and on our website. Follow us on social media for additional updates.