From the Macon-Bibb County Fire Department’s Fire Prevention Team:
It is that time of the year when the temperatures drop a bit lower. During the winter months, we tend to spend more time at home with our family and loved ones, so what better way to protect them than by making sure your home is protected from any fire hazard. We would like to remind our citizens of some Safety Precautions that should be exercised to prevent fires, injuries or possible loss of life: Winter holidays are a time for families and friends to get together, but that also means a greater risk for fires. Following a few simple tips will ensure a happy and fire-safe holiday season.
- Your home should have a Working Smoke Alarm on every level of your home and in each bedroom if possible and a Fire Escape Plan. If your home is without a Working Smoke Alarm, the Macon-Bibb County Fire Department will install one in your home FREE of charge. Please call (478) 751-9180 (M-F) or go by your nearest fire station.
- Space Heaters are designed to warm a small area; should have a 3ft clearance from all combustibles (beds, curtains, chairs, sofas, etc.) and should be turned-off when you leave home or go to bed.
- In the event of a Power Outage, use flashlights instead of candles; if you must use candles please place them on a sturdy object up high away from children, pets and combustibles.
- DO NOT use cooking equipment (stove top/oven) for warming your home this could cause a buildup of odorless toxic fumes.
- Please DO NOT burn charcoal in your home!
- Install Carbon Monoxide alarms in central locations, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of your home, including the basement.
- Your furnace and fireplace should be serviced annually to ensure that it is in proper working condition.
- STAY WARM AND FIRE SAFE