serving the needs of the community
Macon Judicial Circuit
2nd Floor, Grand Building
661 Mulberry Street
Macon, Georgia 31201
K. David Cooke, Jr. – District Attorney
P: (478) 621-6427
F: (478) 621-6601
Mission Statement of the District Attorney’s Office.
The District Attorney is an elected official and the chief prosecution officer of The Macon Judicial Circuit. Under the constitution and the laws of the State of Georgia, he is responsible for the prosecution of crimes committed in Bibb, Crawford and Peach Counties.
The goal of the District Attorney’s Office is to provide law enforcement services to the people of the Macon Judicial Circuit through the prosecution of crimes. Special attention is given to the cases involving violent and serious crimes such as homicide, robbery, sex crimes, crimes against children, violence against persons, and drug offenses, as well as repeat offenders. Persons who commit these crimes represent the greatest threat to public safely and must receive the principal focus of our efforts. On an ongoing basis, we must also provide effective prosecution of other felonies in order to preserve public respect for and confidence in the criminal justice system. For example, domestic violence cases are continual problems in our county and require considerable attention by the District Attorney’s Office.
Cases in the District Attorney’s Office generally originate with an arrest by a law enforcement agency operating in Bibb, Peach and Crawford Counties. Afterwards, a case may be prepared for presentation to the Grand Jury for an indictment. Those persons who are indicted or who are otherwise charged are then prosecuted through jury or bench trials, if necessary or guilty pleas.
Goals of the District Attorney’s Office
• The goal of the Bibb County District Attorney’s Office is to provide fair, effective and expeditious prosecution of crimes in this county.
• To conduct the prosecution of criminal matters in the Superior and Juvenile Courts of the county.
• To investigate, prepare and present all felony cases referred to the Grand Jury and conduct special investigations initiated by the District Attorney’s Office.
• To represent the people in all legal motions, appeals, and special proceedings related to the prosecution of defendants in this county.
• To prosecute persons who abuse, especially those who abuse the vulnerable such as children and women.
• To prosecute persons involved in bringing in, using, and selling illegal drugs in this county.
• To prosecute those who victimize citizens of this county through acts of violence.
• Finally, to reach out to the communities of Bibb, Peach and Crawford Counties for input and concerns and to educate citizens on the workings of the Criminal Justice System in general, and the District Attorney’s Office in particular.