Macon – With Crisis Line & Safe House facing possible furloughs and a reduction in services during the government shutdown earlier this year, the Macon Judicial Circuit District Attorney’s Office pledged to match donations up to $25,000 raised by Feb. 14.
District Attorney David Cooke awarded Crisis Line & Safe House a contribution of $38,341 Wednesday, a full match for each donation from the month-long fundraiser.
The District Attorney’s Office had previously donated $100,000 during the shutdown to help ensure the continuation of needed services to area sexual assault and family violence victims. The District Attorney’s Office’s contributions come from the office’s share of money forfeited by criminals as the result of illegal activity.
“A part of obtaining justice for our community is ensuring crime victims get the help they need, not just to aid in locking up offenders, but also to heal,” Cooke said. “Crisis Line & Safe House’s work providing these services is vital to the health and safety of our community. We’re proud to support them.”
Crisis Line & Safe House Executive Director Dee Simms said, “Advocacy and support services are vitally important to recovering from trauma after experiencing violent crimes such as sexual assault and domestic violence. We are so appreciative of the financial support from our District Attorney which has helped us through the government shutdown and period of slow reimbursements on our federal grants. It is so wonderful to have a District Attorney who realizes the value in supportive services for victims of crime. It not only helps victims in the recovery process, but helps in preparing them for participation in the criminal justice process.”
If you want to donate to Crisis Line & Safe House, visit cl-sh.org or call 745-9292.
For more news from the District Attorney’s Office, follow on Twitter @DA_DavidCooke, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/DADavidCooke and on Instagram at da_davidcooke.
Contact: Amy Leigh Womack