On Saturday, June 4, Macon-Bibb County Animal Welfare and partners will hold the first Happy Tails Adoption Event from 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. at the shelter (4214 Fulton Mill Road). People can come to the shelter to see what animals are available for adoption there and with several local rescue groups, including Peach County Animal Rescue, Pawsome Southern Rescue, Gentle Giants, All About Animals, Pixel, and Furever After.
“We wanted to open our doors to the general public and show them what great animals there are at Animal Welfare and with our local and regional rescue groups,” says Director Sonja Adams. “I want to thank our partners in the rescue community for their continued support and for being part of this event. Our entire staff is looking forward to helping host more of these throughout the year as we work together to find permanent homes for these animals.”
Throughout the day, there will be free food and drinks, live music from 3:00-6:00 p.m., and a variety of fun, animal, and educational activities to choose from, including:
- Spay and neuter services in S.A.F.E.’s mobile unit;
- Lessons from the Emergency Management Agency on preparing your pets for emergencies and severe weather;
- Buying t-shirts as a fundraiser for heartworm testing for dogs and FIV testing for cats;
- Dog training and bite prevention classes;
- Bounce houses, face painting, and art station for children; and
- Gift card giveaways.
The cost to adopt from Animal Welfare is $100 for dogs and $60 for cats. There are about 70 animals currently available for adoption (the number changes daily), and people can see which are available by visiting the Animal Welfare Facebook page.