In inclement weather and cold temperatures, the Macon-Bibb Fire Department wants to remind everyone of some home safety precautions that could save your life.
• Make sure you have several working smoke detectors throughout your home. If you don’t have one, the fire department will install one for free. Call (478) 751-9180.
• When using space heaters, keep them at least 3 feet away from all materials, such as curtains and furniture. Always turn them when leaving the house or going to bed.
• If the power goes out, use flashlights instead of candles. If you must use candles, be sure they’re away from children, pets, and combustibles.
• Do not use cooking equipment (stove top/oven) for warming your home. This could cause a buildup of odorless toxic fumes.
• Do not burn charcoal in your home, or anywhere indoors.
• Service your fireplace and/or furnace annually to ensure they’re in proper working condition.