Business Development Services

Property Maintenance
Frequently Asked Questions

1. What do I do if I’m concerned about the condition of a piece of property in the city?

You can file an inspection request with our Property Maintenance Division to have them verify if a code violation exists by calling 478-751-7192 Monday thru Friday 8:15 AM to 4:45 PM or go to the See-Click-Fix by clicking the link HERE.

2. What is the process after I submit an inspection request?

Once an inspection request is received, we will send a code enforcement officer out to inspect the property within a few days to verify if a code violation exists. If the property is in violation of a city ordinance, a written notice of violation will be mailed by certified mail to the legal property owner of record. The legal owner of the property will be given a specific time period to correct the violation and bring the property into compliance. If the violation is not resolved within the specified time frame, the city will take measures to bring the property into compliance.

3. When is grass considered to be in violation?

Grass is officially in violation of the city code when it reaches a height of 12 inches or higher.

4. Does the Property Maintenance Division handle complaints about animals?

No. Contact the animal control officer with the Animal Welfare Department for concerns about animals.

5. I have a neighbor who is a repeat offender. Do I have to file an inspection request every time I have a concern?

Yes. Although the Property Maintenance Division is proactively looking for problem properties, we are unable to see everything. By filing an inspection request every time there is a concern, it ensures the property will be inspected in a timely fashion.

6. I have a mold and/or mildew issue; can you help me with my problem?

The Property Maintenance Division does not do any testing or sampling of alleged mold or mildew. We will however cite violations of walls, floors or ceilings not being maintained and for any water damage that may contribute to mold or mildew.

7. What can I do about my neighbor’s tree limbs growing across the property line to my property?

This is often a civil issue that needs to be addressed between the neighbors or their attorneys. A property owner has the right to trim limbs back to their property line, but could face civil charges if damage occurs. If the limb or tree on a neighbor’s property is clearly dead, then this Division can cite the property owner where the tree originates and ask that the hazardous conditions be removed.

8.I have received a property maintenance violation letter, what do I do now?

If you make the necessary repairs or perform the necessary maintenance prior to the compliance date on the letter, no further action will be taken. If you are unable to meet this compliance date, contact the Property Maintenance Division at 478-751-7192 to discuss the issue. If the problem is not resolved, cases will be forwarded to Municipal Court.

Condemned Property: These properties have been cited as being unfit for occupancy and/or dangerous structures. The inspectors are processing these cases against the owners for compliance by either rehab or demolition. For a complete Condemned Property list, click HERE.

Court Approved for Demolition: These properties have been cited and the Court has approved the wrecking or removal by any means of the entire or partial exterior of a structure. For a complete Court Approved for Demolition list, click HERE.