During the Holiday Season, the Macon-Bibb County Fire Department would like to offer some turkey fryer operation safety tips to ensure that you and your family have a fun and safe time.
“We want everyone to have a happy and safe holiday season,” says Lieutenant Brenda Thomas. “Fire safety starts at home, and with these tips, people can more safely celebrate with friends and family.”
Turkey Fryer Safety Tips
- Make sure the turkey is completely thawed and be careful with marinades. Oil and water do not mix, and water causes oil to spill over causing a fire or even an explosion hazard.
- To avoid oil spill over, do not overfill the fryer.
- Turkey fryers should always be used outdoors at a safe distance from buildings and any other flammable materials.
- NEVER use turkey fryers in a garage or on a wooden deck.
- Make sure the fryers are used on a flat surface to reduce accidental tipping over.
- NEVER use fryers unattended. Most units do not have thermostat controls, and if you do not watch the fryer carefully, the oil will continue to heat until it catches fire.
- Use well-insulated potholders or oven mitts when touching pot or lid handles. If possible, wear safety goggles to protect your eyes from oil splatter.
- NEVER leave children or pets unattended near the fryer, even if it is not in use. The oil can remain dangerously hot hours after use.
- If the splatter of hot oil makes contact with your skin please put COOL WATER on BURNS and seek medical attention, if needed.
- Make sure to have a working smoke alarm and a fire escape plan. The combination of the two could help save lives.