The Macon-Bibb County Commission is scheduled to vote on the FY19 Budget at its meeting on June 19, which begins at 6:00 p.m. and is held in Commission Chambers in Government Center (700 Poplar Street). If you are unable to make the meeting, it will be streamed live on MaconBibbTV, Facebook, and Cox Cable Channel 14.
The Operations and Finance Committee has held multiple meetings and a public hearing over the course of several weeks reviewing the budget and making additional reductions and changes. The current proposed budget is for $162,650,070 and would require an increase in the millage rate of 3.29.
Included in the current proposed budget are:
- Three unpaid holidays;
- No changes to pension and healthcare;
- Distribution of overtime by department;
- Vehicle Maintenance remaining an Internal Service Fund;
- Reduction in judgement and losses in the County Attorney’s Office by $50,000;
- Reduction in promotional assessments in Human Resources by $20,000;
- Reduction in standby pay in Facilities Management by $15,000;
- Amended proposal for outside agency funding to be $10,001,250;
- Decreased travel expenses throughout departments by $225,000;
- Reduction in funding for vacant positions in the Sheriff’s Office by $500,000;
- Additional positions in Recreation to staff the new South Bibb Recreation Center;
- Additional positions in Facilities Management (3), Parks & Beautification (3), and Public Works (3); and
- Defunding the vacant positions for Assistant County Manager ($155,500), Communications Specialist in Public Affairs ($60,300), Director of Small Business Affairs ($103,800), Director of Business Development Services ($118,800), and two Maintenance Workers in the Recreation Department ($102,000), for a reduction of $540,000.