I understand that I have the right to plead not guilty to any offense(s) charged against me. I understand that if I plead not guilty, I am requesting a trial.
I have the following rights under the law:
- The right to a speedy and public trial. I understand that I have the right to a bench trial (non-jury trial) or jury trial. If I request a jury trial, my case will be transferred to State Court.
- The State has the burden of proving the charge(s) against me beyond a reasonable doubt.
- The right to confront, see, hear, and cross-examine all witnesses called to testify against me.
- The right to subpoena witnesses on my behalf and have those witnesses testify at trial.
- The right to testify and present evidence in my behalf at trial.
- The right to remain silent at trial. If I remain silent and do not testify at trial, my silence cannot be held against me or used as evidence against me.
- The right to be presumed innocent of the charge(s) pending against me.
- The right to have the assistance of an attorney at all stages of the proceedings. I understand that if I cannot afford an attorney, the court may appoint an attorney to represent me.
- I understand that by pleading guilty or nolo contendere (nolo) I am waving my right to each of the rights listed above.
I understand the maximum punishment by law for each misdemeanor charge is twelve (12) months in jail and/or a fine of $1,000. If the misdemeanor is of a high and aggravated nature, the maximum punishment is twelve (12) months in jail and/or a fine of $5,000. I understand the maximum punishment by law for each ordinance violation is six (6) months in jail and/or a fine of $1,000.
I understand that if I am not currently a citizen of the United States, a guilty plea may affect my immigration status.
I understand that a plea or conviction in this case can be used to enhance a sentence in the event I am charged with an offense in the future.
I understand that an attorney may be able to discover a defense to the charge(s) pending against me or offer evidence that may be beneficial on my behalf. However, I am proceeding without an attorney to represent me and am freely and voluntarily waiving my right to have an attorney represent me on the charge(s) pending against me, or
I am represented by an attorney, whose name is . I have discussed with my lawyer the facts known to me about the charge(s) pending against me, and I believe that my attorney is fully informed on these matters. My attorney has advised me on the nature of each charge and any possible defenses. I believe my attorney has represented me in a competent manner, and I am satisfied with the advice and guidance that he/she has given me.
In entering my plea of guilty/nolo contendere, I declare that no one has made any promise of any kind to me regarding any leniency if I enter a guilty plea, and that no one has threatened or forced me to enter a plea of guilty/nolo contendere. I am not under the influence of any alcohol or drugs at this time. My decision to enter this plea is free and voluntary, with full understanding of the charge(s) pending against me.